hello, massachusetts

October 23rd, 2011 abcarc15

Inside the Chapel

How’s it going, everyone? As I sit here in my dorm room on this Sunday evening, I’m going to tell you a bit about my experience thus far at the College of the Holy Cross!

Coming from the Bay Area in California, I wasn’t sure what I wanted in a college. I toured here and there, this coast and that coast. I knew I was ready for a totally different experience than high school, but I didn’t have my heart set anywhere. After deciding to fly to the Boston area with my dad last October to look at schools, my college counselor advised that I look at Holy Cross. Though I knew very little about the institution, I took her advice and visited the campus.

Immediately, I could sense the welcoming atmosphere HC had to offer. The campus is absolutely beautiful, but it wasn’t just the pretty trees and gorgeous chapel that hooked me.  This school was a community. They had tremendous school spirit, which I could grasp from my first visit to the bookstore, and a genuine love for their college.
After I fell for Holy Cross, I still had some waiting to do, naturally.  My visit had confirmed to me that I wanted a small community dedicated not only to academics, but to service and extracurriculars. The liberal arts education allows for students to explore different areas of study and test the waters before declaring a major. While my lifelong interest in English will most likely lead me down that path in my future, it’s been wonderful to have the freedom to take other classes, as well. Once I finally received my acceptance letter, it was time to start thinking about my transition from high school to college, from West Coast to East Coast.

The Famous Hunter Boots

So far, the transition has been pretty effortless, given the support and advice from the truly very friendly people at Holy Cross. Being involved in the College Choir, as well as meeting friends through classes, social events, and my dorm, I’ve been lucky enough to meet a number of people who taught me about doing my laundry, managing my time, navigating the hilly campus, as well as informing me about East Coast stables, Hunter Boots and Sperry’s.

There’s plenty more for me to learn, inside and outside of the classroom. I’ll keep you posted!

3 Responses to “hello, massachusetts”

1. Treadmill says:

Very useful info to me, thanks!!
    Nancy

2. abcarc15 says:

Thank you so much! Always glad to help out!

3. wide range of courses…

[…]Need to go on a course? have a look and find one that is perfect for you[…]…